Distance learning, also known as online education, is a viable option for many individuals of all ages who desire to get an education. It holds a number of pros and advantages over a traditional learning environment.
- Choice: An online education provides the opportunity to study more subjects and reach out to programs that are not available in the immediate area.
- Flexible: Distance learning is much more flexible than traditional styles of classroom education. Students who need to take other classes or work can do classwork whenever they have a free moment instead of being restricted to a rigid schedule.
- Networking: Students who enroll in classes with online education obtain a wider range of networking opportunities. Instead of being limited to networking in the local area, distance learning enables students to make connections with a more diverse range of people.
- Pace: Online education enables students to work at their own pace in many circumstances. The requirements are not as strict and typically give a range of due dates when the work needs to be submitted.
- Scheduling: The schedules for distance learning are more open and allow for students, parents and professionals to take the classes whenever it fits into their schedule. This is beneficial over classroom education that requires students to schedule work and childcare around the class time.
- Money: Online classes typically cost less than an education in a classroom environment. There are less space limitations and materials required for each student and the savings are passed on from the educational institution to each student.
- Traveling: A huge advantage to getting an online education is that there is no need to travel to and from class every single day. Someone who doesn’t drive or want to spend money on the costs of public transportation every single day will likely choose to get an online education over the traditional classroom.
- Selection of Professors: Distance learning enables students to learn from some of the most prestigious professors and guest speakers in each field.
- No classroom sitting: Sitting in the classroom is not the best way for every student to learn. A student may learn better at his own pace and in a different format than traditional schooling options offer.
- Effective: Online classes are just as, if not more, effective at teaching students than the traditional classroom style of learning.
Distance learning may not be the ideal option for everyone but should be considered when looking at options for education.
imagecredit: © olly – Fotolia.com